Friday, January 9, 2009

It's Wedding Season

As I am sure that most of you know, the months of April through August are commonly known as "Wedding Season" here in The South. Mostly because no one in their right mind wants to get married during the fall, otherwise known as college football season. The thought of getting married on a Saturday in the fall while your team could be playing their biggest opponent is just unfathomable. Unfortunately, since I am 24, I have several friends that are starting to get married. Bitches. Just kidding. I really am happy for them. It is just not the kind of thing that I want for myself.

I am in a wedding of a childhood friend in May, and this week I got the most inappropriate/tacky email I have ever received. This week, the future sister-in-law of the bride (whom I will call X) sends an email to the ENTIRE bridal party to enlighten them on a brilliant idea. This brilliant idea is to do a Biggest-Loser Wedding Edition. Yes, that's right, I said it.

Now I am sure that some of you working girls out there are familiar with the biggest loser office edition. It is becoming quite popular in the corporate world. In a short description, it basically is a pool and whomever loses the most weight gets the pot of cash. The rules are that you must weigh in with a witness and weigh in every week.

In an office setting, I feel that the biggest loser is a little more acceptable because you are not competing with people that are your best friends. In a wedding setting, I feel that it is completely inappropriate.

Weddings can be a little caddy because most of the time the bridesmaids know each other. There are always some bridesmaids that want to go out of their way and there are some that just want to show up in the heinous dress that is picked out for them and call it a day. In this situation, I looked like the bridesmaid that wanted to show up in the heinous dress because I chose not to participate in the biggest loser. I don't like the idea of everyone competing to get skinny for someone else's cause. I should be getting skinny so I can fit into that fabulous pair of jeans that you hope to wear again, not for a wedding.

I also feel like it Bride X's way of trying to get her bridesmaids to get skinny before her wedding. Tacky, tacky. I kinda picture this little contest to be like the episode of The Office when they participated in the biggest loser. Bride X is definitely going to be Kelly Kapoor because lets face it, she can't imagine anyone looking skinnier than her on her wedding day.

I am going to continue my workouts because lets face it, bathing suit season is coming up and I really do not want to sport the one piece with a skirt. But, if I had a trainer and could lose weight like Jessica Alba, then I would be eating Krispy Kreme doughnuts up until the hour before her wedding, ...just to prove the point that you choose your bridesmaids on the person they are on the inside, not what they look like on the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment